Fight against the discrimination of albino children – Improvement of the living conditions of albino people
State: Completed | Number of beneficiaries: more than 200 children
Location: Thiès and Dakar
ANAS (national association of albinos in Senegal) was created on May 14, 1997. Its objectives are to fight for the right to dignity of albinos and to raise awareness on the extremely difficult conditions in which albinos live in Senegal.
RADI (African Network for Integral Development) is a pan-African NGO created in 1985 by a group of African executives who wanted to share their experiences and know-how. Its mission is to fight against poverty, injustice and ignorance. It has set itself the objectives of training and organizing populations in a participatory and popular way to encourage their initiatives for their promotion and autonomy.
Albinism is very little known in Senegal, many ignorance and false beliefs result in discrimination of albino people.They are marginalized and often remain isolated, and victims of abuse.Albinisme remains “taboo”. Affected families hide albino people in their homes, where access to education and health is very difficult. In addition, there are very few health professionals specialized in this field in Senegal. Currently, no census of albino people has been conducted in Senegal, this lack of information hinders the implementation of projects and prevents a fair apprehension of the phenomenon.
Objectives / Activities
The overall objective of the project is to contribute to improving the living conditions of albinos, especially children.
Activities carried out:
- Organization of four days of medical consultation in general medicine, ophthalmology and dermatology.
- Purchase and distribution of medicines.
- Purchase and distribution of small protective equipment (glasses, caps).
- Medical management for certain surgical operations.
- Assuming the registration and school fees of albino children.
- Distribution of school supplies kits to these children.
- Organization of teacher awareness sessions on albinism.
- Organization of awareness caravans on the rights of albino people in Thiès and Dakar.
- Animation of radio programs on the protection and defense of the rights of albino people.
- Organization of sensitization meetings with the academic authorities.
- Direct beneficiaries: more than 200 children
- Indirect beneficiaries: more than 200 families and the rest of the population sensitized to albinism.