Construction of a health center in Thylla
Project started in September 2014 | Number of beneficiaries: 3 000 inhabitants
Place of intervention: village of Thylla, Linguère department, Senegal
Local partner : Association Jappo Liggeye ThyllaThe issue
- The people of Thylla and of the surrounding villages did not have access to primary health care because their health center was run down and wasn’t supplied with the necessary medication for the most basic care
- In case of disease or medical emergency, the people of Thylla had to go to the nearest health center, 3 km away in the village of Dahra by their own means – by car or walking
- In addition, the women of Thylla and of the surrounding villages had to face a real problem: the lack of information, of care and of monitoring during their pregnancy. Most women had to deliver their babies at home, in inadequate hygienic conditions. Many women died during labor, or after a hemorrhage or an infection due to the delivery.
The beneficiaries This project is intended for 3 000 inhabitants of the village of Thylla and the surrounding villages – including the Fula village of Thiébé.The activitiesThis project includes :
- The construction of a new health centre on the site of the former run down center
- Creation and training of a management committee for the health center
- Hiring of staff and purchase of equipment and required medicines
- Awareness sessions to hygiene practices and prevention of common diseases are organized for the population
- The financial sustainability of the health center thanks to the sales of appointment tickets, of health record booklets, hospitalization fees, childbirth fees and profits from the sales of medicines.