Improved housing conditions for 42 blind people
State : Completed | Number of beneficiaries : 42 blind people
Duration : 2018/2019, 18 months
Location : Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
MNFB is a Mongolian NGO that aims to defend the rights of blind people living in Mongolia and to encourage their participation in society – like any other citizen.
The federation was created in 1978 at the initiative of a group of blind people. It now has 23 branches across the country and the network helps provide blind people with education, employment opportunities, appropriate care and access to culture and sport. The association has 9,600 members who are visually impaired.
Of the 108,000 people with disabilities identified in 2010, 16,600 are blind or visually impaired. 30% of them live in Ulaanbaatar and the remaining 70% are scattered across 21 provinces of the country. Many blind people find themselves isolated and excluded from society because they do not have access to employment, education and adapted services and are unable to assert their right as citizens.Today, Mongolian society considers that blind people are not able to be autonomous and consider visual impairment as a disabling handicap, preventing any personal development initiative.
The overall objective of the project is: Improving the living conditions of the most vulnerable populations in Mongolia through the improvement of their housing conditions.
The specific objective is: Improving the living conditions of 42 blind people living in Ulaanbaatar
Activities carried out
Improved living comfort and independence for 42 blind people and their families sharing an apartment through the construction of bathrooms and kitchens.
-42 blind people and their families
-Indirectly, all persons with disabilities in the district concerned and their families will benefit from the project through its possible duplication and the investment of local authorities in the dissemination of the model.